Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Spa Day at the Orphanage































On a chilly Sunday afternoon, I returned to the orphanage with Michelle Gee and her daughter Hanna. Taylor, my 9 year-old daughter, tagged along. This time we would just be doing “girl stuff.” Michelle wanted to bless the older girls and women staff, because they work so hard. We came bearing lotions, manicure kits, a wide array of nail polishes, and even a foot spa bath. Plus, considering teenagers like to eat, she also brought chips and dip, gum, sodas and raspberry cheesecake.

Within minutes of unpacking all the stuff, we had girls lined up wanting their nails done. But they didn´t just want one color, no. A beauty magazine suddenly appeared containing pages of intricate nail designs, some that seemed to require magnifying glasses, tweezers, and microsurgery. Well, I did my best with what I had, and they seemed satisfied enough. It was overwhelming--having so many girls surrounding me, wanting to be next; showing me what they wanted, me having to say things in Spanish I didn´t know how to say. Being utterly clueless, but with something to give, nonetheless.

In the middle of painting little hearts on the nails of a girl named Theresa, I realized some others were commenting on the auburn color of my hair. Suddenly, I was asked if I could dye one of the workers´ wavy locks. Boxes of dye were placed before me, everything with such urgency, like there would never be this opportunity again (and perhaps that´s pretty much the truth). I was grateful for the diagrams on the box; grateful that instructions on hair coloring kits are written to be understood by illiterate people. Dying her hair was no problem at all, and I´m sure she was just glad she didn´t have to do it herself, having such long hair that took up two boxes of dye.

Taylor and Hannah polished each other´s nails, but then spent the rest of the time chasing chickens around in the yard. I´m glad Taylor is still just a girl for a little longer.

After taking some pictures of the girls showing off their nails, they all crowded around to see the previews on my camera so exuberantly I almost fell over. On the drive home, encouraged by the way things went, Michelle and I did some brainstorming for future activities she could do with the teen girls, just time spent with them, showing them they matter. The girls had asked for a hair-styling day; additionally we came up with pajama movie night, cooking (though I bet a number of them probably know how to cook already), and sewing. Any other ideas?

-Trudenski

No comments: