Monday, August 13, 2007

Hakuna Matata

I´ve been having a great time in Ecuador. My family has been taking me to many different places. When we went to Loja, my mom thought it would be “only” a three hour bus ride. But, when we got to the bus station and after we bought our ticket, we found out that it would be five hours. Winding roads ALL the way. It was AWFUL. After I barfed three times, dad told me to blame mom for the whole idea of going. Lydia and Luke threw up once; but Taylor didn’t throw up at all. Now dad’s calling her “The Iron Stomach”. We stayed in Loja for two days then traveled to Vilcabamba which was a 45 minute taxi ride from Loja. Vilcabamba is a five by five block town. Now mom wanted to go to this hotel called Izcayluma, that, our book said was two kilometers from town, not far. So we walked: mom carrying Luke; dad carrying three back-packs, Lydia´s, Taylor´s and his own; and me, carrying my backpack and three pounds of coffee. Uphill all the way. It was tiring, and we weren´t entirely sure we would even find the place. But we did, and it was worth it. Hotel Izcayluma has a wonderful view, a nice little bar/play area and a freezing cold pool that I jumped into. Unfortunately, we ate salsa in a little restaurant. Mom was cautious and didn´t want us to eat it. I said, "aw, Hakuna Matata! No worries." I spent almost all of the next day in our cabin "Hakuning my matatas." Once I was better, I dreaded the trip back to Cuenca. I did NOT want to get back on that bus. Luckily, we had some pills to calm our stomachs so I was fine.

--Nathan

1 comment:

Can Opener Boy said...

I've heard of a "Technicolor Yawn" -- but "Hakuning my matatas" was a new one -- well done! =O)